SERA is the only environmental group affiliated to Labour and campaigns for the party to adopt ambitious environmental policies.
SERA encourages Constituency Labour Party’s (CLPs) to affiliate to SERA. As a membership based organisation we are only as strong as our members, and with the support of CLPs we can further increase our networks and influence nationwide.
We support the work and campaigns of our members and affiliates in encouraging Labour to embrace and take the lead in tackling the environmental challenges of our time.
Just one example of how SERA has made a difference locally in the last year is in South Tyneside where SERA have endeavoured to influence South Tyneside Labour Group policy, met with the chair of South Tyneside Homes to discuss energy efficiency measures, and met the council’s lead member to discuss the work being done by the council in relation to recycling.
When a constituency Labour Party affiliates to SERA they receive the following benefits:
- Affiliation to SERA affirms a CLPs commitment to environmental and social justice
- The CLP elects a local member to be the SERA Rep who will act as the point-person between SERA and the CLP.
- The SERA Rep will have the right to attend and vote at SERA’s AGM
- The CLP will receive a hard copy and pdf version of SERA’s flagship magazine ‘New Ground’ 2 to 3 times a year
- The CLP will receive regular updates from SERA on news, views, exclusive events and campaigns
- The CLP will have the chance to input into SERA’s activity and policy and take a lead role within the constituency
- There will be opportunities for SERA speakers to attend CLP meetings
How to affiliate your Constituency Labour Party to SERA
- If you are interested in affiliating your CLP to SERA, email SERA's organiser Phillip at email@example.com who will send you a draft motion proposal that can be proposed at your next CLP meeting
- SERA must receive confirmation that a CLP has agreed to affiliate to SERA. This is most likely to be a hard copy or scanned letter signed by the CLP chair, treasurer and newly elected SERA Rep. This can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or SERA, 200a Pentonville Road, London, N1 9JP
- Once confirmation has been sent the sign-up form and payment can be completed. The details of the SERA Rep should be used for the sign-up form.