We are looking for a National Organiser to work from our London office, to provide administrative, organisational, fundraising and campaign support to the SERA Co-Chairs and Executive, to implement SERA’s strategy and to make sure we run as an effective membership and campaigning organisation.
If you are passionate about climate and the environment, have good administrative and IT skills and experience of events and fundraising, find out more below.
SERA National Organiser: Job Description
SERA is a membership, campaigning and policy environmental organisation. It is the only environment group affiliated to the Labour Party. We believe that tackling environmental problems is key to delivering security, opportunity and fairness. From the climate emergency to the energy transition, air quality to the natural environment, SERA is passionate about meeting the critical and urgent environmental and social challenges facing Britain.
SERA campaigns for the party at all levels to adopt ambitious policies that deliver environmental and social justice. As a hub for red-green politics, SERA provides a platform for policy debate, holds events, publishes new thinking and works across the environmental and Labour movements.
We are a membership- based organisation and our members include Labour politicians, environmental professionals, academics, people working in businesses and trade unionists. Members receive invites to events and a regular SERA newsletter on the latest environmental news, campaigns and articles. SERA also periodically publishes its magazine New Ground. We work closely with Labour representatives at all levels from local councils and mayors to MPs and Lords.
We are seeking to further build our organisation and reach, putting environmental policies at the heart of Labour’s policymaking, and campaign with the Labour and environmental movements to secure the comprehensive and ambitious programme needed to address the existential threat to all our lives, the climate and nature crisis.
We are seeking a National Organiser to provide administrative, organisational, fundraising and campaign support to the SERA Co-chairs and Executive, to implement SERA’s strategy and to make sure we run as an effective membership and campaigning organisation.
The role is initially offered full-time for one year, renewable subject to fundraising commitments being met.
It offers an excellent opportunity for the postholder to have experience of running a small organisation, develop event and campaigns, build relationships across the Labour and environmental movements and support Labour’s voice and action on climate and the environment.
Reports to: SERA Co-Chairs
Staff managed: None (although possibly volunteers)
Hours: Full-time (37 hours per week).
Pay: c £27,000-£28,000 depending on experience
Place of work: Flexible. SERA’s office is in Kings Cross, Pentonville Road, London, but staff do not need to be based there. Post pandemic, there might be occasional meetings in London (SERA Office and Westminster) to attend.
- Managing the membership database and online joining system
- Maintaining SERA’s website and social media presence
- Producing a regular members email
- Organising and administering SERA executive meetings and AGM
- Supporting production of SERA’s New Ground publication
- Working with SERA Executive to develop and lead SERA’s sponsorship and fundraising strategy and developing income streams
- Organising SERA public and private events including the flagship Labour conference programme
- Contribute to the overall activities of SERA as required
- Duties and responsibilities may change to meet the circumstances and political landscape, and role reviewed and amended in consultation with the postholder
- The postholder will carry out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager
Essential skills and experience
- Good administrative, organisational and IT skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Self-starter and ability to prioritise competing tasks and manage a varied workload
- Evidence of support for Labour
- Interest in environmental issues
- Knowledge of politics and UK political system
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of organising events
- Experience of sponsorship and fundraising
- Experience of campaigning and social media work
- Experience of working with a members-based organisation
- Networks within Labour and/or environment movement
If you are interested in being considered for this role, please send your CV with a cover letter explaining why you would be suitable for the job to [email protected] no later than 23.59 on Sunday 19 December 2021. Interviews will be held online in early January.