SERA - Labour's Environment Campaign with The Vegan Society & Sustain
LOCATION The Dome Room, Hotel du Vin, Brighton, BN1 1AD (A four minute walk from the conference centre)
DATE Sunday 22 September
TIME 12:45 - 14:00
*This event takes place outside the secure zone, and is therefore accessible to all, including those without a conference pass*
- Chair - Bryn Kewley, SERA exec member
- Sue Hayman MP - Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
- Louise Davies - The Vegan Society
- Ben Reynolds - Deputy Chief Executive, Sustain
- Sue Pritchard - Director, Food, Farming & Countryside Commission
- Dr Helen Harwatt - Animal Law & Policy Fellow, Harvard Law School
We are facing an environment and climate emergency. Whilst needing to act on the emergency head-on, we also need to promote and champion public health, food security and rural areas. We need to future proof Labour’s food policy.
Over a quarter of global emissions currently come from the production of food, and in the UK 10% of our total emissions comes from agriculture, with over half from animal products. There must be a concerted effort to rapidly reduce agricultural carbon emissions and make our food systems more sustainable.